Two 3,800 year-old ancient Egyptian wall reliefs and a Greek temple facade were unearthed in the Red Sea port of Bernice in August 2015. One of the reliefs dates back to the Middle Kingdom Pharaoh Amenemhat IV (1822.C-1812.C.), while the second, which is in a bad state of preservation, belongs to the Second Intermediate Period (1680B.C.-1580 B.C.).
The paintings were unearthed during excavation work carried out by an archaeology mission from the Polish center, in collaboration with the University of Warsaw at the Queen Bernice port on the Red Sea. Parts of Bernice Temple’s façade, three tombs dating back to Egypt’s Roman Empire (30 B.C.-395A.D,) coffins and several reliefs carved with ancient Egyptian and Greek texts were also unearthed in the site. Founded by the Greek king Ptolemy II Philadelphus (285B.C.-246B.C), Bernice is an ancient port city located 800 kilometers south of the Suez Canal.
It was founded to deploy trade expeditions to the east African coast in search of gold, elephants, aromatic resins, black wood, ebony, ivory, and wild animals. In January 2010, ruins of a 2,000-year-old temple belong to Queen Bernice, wife of King Ptolemy III Euergetes (246B.C.-222B.C.) was excavated in the Mediterranean port city of Alexandria.
Sandstone wall fragment bears name of Pharoah Amenemhat IV.